Friday 10 September 2010

(5) I hate.....forgetting the answers to things I already know

Okay, so here is where my geek comes out.
A few days ago I was talking about Lord of the Rings with my partner. Shes not as into it as I am. I am VERY knowledgeable about all things Middle Earth, and can win practically every time on Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit.

But during mid-chat that day, I completely forgot the name of the riverside city that lies to the east of Minas Tirith. A very basic question that I KNEW I knew the answer to.
But I just could not remember it.
And the more I couldn't remember it, the more pissed off I got with myself.
At the end point I was sat at my computer, mouse hovering over google ready to search the name of the Valor damned place.

I was a wreck. Honestly. I wavered over whether I should search it, like a hobbit deciding whether to cast The One Ring into Mount Doom, or just see if I could remember it.
But in the end it just got too much, with the beginning of a tear in my eye, and a very deep sense of disappointment in myself, I clicked the search button.

Osgiliath.

It was awful. Like someone losing a sports game or stabbing an Uruk-hai only to realise you missed every major artery and hes still alive.
And I have been kicking myself in the vagina ever since.

And it happens all the time. I'm always forgetting stuff I know. And I HATE it. Its so embarrasing!
What will it be next?
Will I forget the name of the crystal that make your lightsabre blade pink?
Will I forget who sang the song 'Happy Happy, Joy Joy'?
Will I forget who wrote the dictionary?

Well, just in case, Im writing them here for reference:
Lambent, Stinky Wizzleteats, Jesus.

Job Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment